Aging has a dark side, but choosing to see the funny dark side may be good for your health.… More
The Great Upsizing
I was 31 years old when I got my first credit card. Then, I spent two months shopping for my first pair of jeans. I cannot remember if the winners were Calvins or Jordache. I had always been a ‘second-hand rose’, and paying retail for clothing was a completely new experience. I took it seriously.
Over time I learned to acquire stuff, just like the rest of my fellow Baby Boomers. Cross country moves in 2005 and 2012 helped me learn how… More
Browsing In Bookstores
In October, 2014, The Wall Street Journal published “Closing Our Browsers: Without brick-and-mortar bookstores, what is happening to browsing?” by Terry Teachout. I saved the article because it resonated with me.
Mr. Teachout makes the point that …”nowadays I buy a book or record only because I am specifically looking for it… Browsing, it appears, will soon be as dead as dial phones. That constitutes a huge cultural… More
My New Year’s wish and resolution for 2015 are simple. I wish HEALTH for myself, my friends, my family, ElderAuthority readers, and beloved critters large and small. My New Year’s resolution is to lose 10 pounds.
That’s it. Surely that is not too much to ask for.
In 2015 the Great Downsizing and Simplification will continue. It is a wonderful place to be in life.
Happy and Healthy New Year’s to you and yours.
Grand Opera to Dog Fences
Oh, my. It has been a wondrous year of transition.
Last year, for my 60th birthday (see The Ultimate 60th Birthday Party), David surprised me with a trip to NYC, staying at the Waldorf Astoria and attending the Metropolitan Opera, where my girlfriend, Tanya, showed up in the seat next to me. David really knows how to keep a secret.
This year, my birthday came during the busiest week we have had yet with our 6-month-old company, Laughing Labrador, LLC… More
This story about senior citizens and student loan debt really caught me by surprise.
Negative Impact on Quality of Life
Social Security Impacted
Many older Americans are still paying off student loans even as they move toward retirement age. 80% comes from loans seniors took out for themselves, including for graduate school and continuing education required by their jobs. The remaining 20 percent was taken out for their children or other dependents. While student… More
ElderAuthority Waaaay Ahead of Wall Street Journal
Last week, on December 1, 2014, the Wall Street Journal devoted an entire section to “Planning and Living the New Retirement”. Amy Tergesen identifies six myths about aging in her article, “Why Everything You Think About Aging May Be Wrong.”
Who knew? ElderAuthority readers did (way before the WSJ) because ElderAuthority is ahead of its time. ElderAuthority.com and its previous… More
Have you been keeping an eye on Grandma lately? Or are you a Grandma that is expanding her horizons? Here is a novel way for some to celebrate Thanksgiving. It doesn’t seem to have harmed the participants at all.
Try something new for Thanksgiving. It will keep you young.
ElderAuthority hopes you enjoy your holidays, no matter how you choose to celebrate!… More
R&B Education (continued)
I have probably mentioned a few times that I missed most of the pop music of my generation. It is only in the last ten years that I have begun to catch up on the fabulous sound track of the baby boomers. Fortunately, David is committed to my education and has hustled me into live (if middle-aged) performances of The Eagles, The Police, Van Morrison, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yokum, Asleep At the Wheel, Martha and the Vandellas, Jeff Beck, The… More