WHAT IS 1-800-MEDICARE?
1-800-MEDICAR(e) (1800 Medicare) is the telephone Help Line for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). This is the number you should call for questions about your claims, medical records, or expenses.
You can also call 1-800-633-4227. TTY/TDD service is available for the hearing impaired at 1- 877-486-2048.
The help line, with both English or Spanish-speaking representatives, is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Services are available to all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and Northern Mariana Islands.
WHAT DOES THE HELP LINE PROVIDE?
You can get help with any of the following when you call 1-800-MEDICARE:
- General information and printed materials on Medicare and the Medicare Health Plan options in your area as well as plan quality and satisfaction information in English or Spanish.
- The “Medicare Personal Plan Finder” tool. It can help you narrow down your Medicare health plan choices and choose the plan that’s best for you.
- Information about the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003.
- Information on the Medicare-approved drug discount card sponsors.
- The “Medicare prescription Drug Plan Finder” tool. This tool is on medicare.gov and compares discounted drug prices, prescription drug plans, as well as the enrollment fees, and other program features.
- Medicare providers and suppliers in your area.
- Specific Medicare coverage information.
- The Medicare & You Handbook, in print, audio cassette, and Large Print or Braille versions. Print and audio cassette versions are available in English or Spanish.
- Various Medicare publications.
- Disenroll from managed care plans
- Phone numbers for SSA, your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), State Medicaid Office and more.
AUTHORIZATION, PROTECTION, COMPLAINTS
You may call 1-800-MEDICARE to report suspected fraud and abuse or to make a complaint about the quality of a Medicare-covered service.
While the 1-800-MEDICARE number can provide a huge amount of information, your personal information is protected.
To allow someone to call 1-800-MEDICARE on your behalf, you need to fill out a “Medicare Authorization to Disclose Personal Health Information” form.